Explore Technology & University Studies

Explore Technology & University Studies

Our team teaches and advises students about individualized majors that are personally and professionally satisfying. Schedule an appointment with an academic advisor.

Explore Technology and University Studies, Undergraduate Academic Affairs, Virginia Tech

Change of Major Instructions

Current Students are eligible to change their major during designated times of the year. Restricted and Unrestricted majors have different timelines.

Student Resources

These resources and offices assist students towards a smooth transition in their first semesters.

Student Employee Leadership Positions Now Available

Applications are now available for current students


Online Forms

Forms are available for a variety of advising scenarios. Students should contact an advisor for further assistance with forms.

Change of Major Application


Important Dates Fall 2018
Change of Major Application Opens  July 28
Deadline to Apply for Restricted Major
August 12
Deadline for Notification (Restricted Major) August 17 
Classes Begin August 20 
Deadline to Apply for Non-Restricted Major September 1 
Deadline for Notification (Non-Restricted Major) September 8 
All Changes Processed in Banner September 11 


To enhance advising and help students change a major, the university has three common change of major times every year.  In addition, the process is online. Once you submit a HokieSpa request, students will be notified regarding the status. Each college will run its own process to determine if it can accept the student and will then notify the student of the decision.

Some colleges and majors require students to attend an information session or contact an individual. Read Major Information Sessions to see requirements for individual majors. 

This process applies to students who wish to change their primary major. Requests for adding secondary majors will still follow the current paper process.

See instructions on how to apply for a new primary major.


Student Spotlight

The journey for current Virginia Tech students to their perfect major(s).

Student Spotlight, University Studies, Undergraduate Academic Affairs, Virginia Tech


Contact Us

Open 8am to 5pm
Monday through Friday

117 Femoyer Hall
280 Stanger Street
Phone: 540-231-8440
Fax: 540-231-9799