Virginia Tech® home

University Policy 91

University Policy 91

Univeristy Policy 91 ensures that students make continuous progress towards their degree and to encourage students to improve their performance. The policy may differ within each academic department at Virginia Tech.

What is University Policy 91?

Univeristy Policy 91 states that Virginia Tech students must make Satisfactory Academic Progress towards a degree. This policy outlines a univeristy-wide minimum criteria for making progress towards the completion of your intended degree.

If you are not making progress towards your degree, you will be receive notification of dismissal from your current major and have to pick a new major at Virginia Tech.

I received a notification about Policy 91, what can I do?

Read the email carefully
Typically a Policy 91 notification means you will have to choose a new major to move forward at Virginia Tech. This means considering new majors and alternative paths to your original plans. Don't worry you are not alone.

Schedule a Transitional Advising Appointment
Have questions? Transitional Advisors are experts on all majors at Virginia Tech and can help you find a new path forward. Schedule a Transitional Advising Appointment to explore new majors. Transitional Advisors can help you determine a new timeline to graduation, investigate academic plans, and possible combinations of majors or minors that fit your needs.

University Policy 91 Minimum Criteria

The minimum criteria for University Policy 91 include Satisfactory Progress towards degree:

  1. Have an overall GPA at or above the specified GPA for your degree-granting department's guidelines.
    • Department GPA requirements may vary but this is tyically a 2.0 or higher.
  2. Have an in-major GPA at or above the specific GPA for your degree-granting department's guidelines.
    • Department in-major GPA requirements may vary but this is tyically a 2.0 or higher.
  3. Completing a set number of credit hours of your intended degree within your department's specific annual/semesterly timeline.
    • Departments such as the College of Engineering require at least 12 credit hours completed per year that apply towards your degree.
  4. Completing required courses by a certain timeline.
    • Departments may require that you complete certain courses by 45, 60, and 72 attempted credit hours. This ensures that you are on track to complete your degree in a timely manner.
  5. Earn the specified grade, either A-F or P/F depending on your college checksheet, in the maximum number of attempts.
    • Departments such as the College of Engineering, College of Science, among others, require minimum letter grades to progress in the earning of your degree. If you do not earn the required letter grade in a course within the maximum number of attempts (3) then you may face a Policy 91 violation.

Transitional Advising

Thinking about changing your major?

Academic advisors in University Studies and Scholarship Support can help answer questions regarding changing your major. If you are considering making progress towards a different major, then you can schedule a Transitional Advising appointment. Transitional Advising offers students the opportunity to work with an advisor one-on-one through the exploration, planning, and implementation process.