Virginia Tech® home

How Do I...Take Courses at Another Institution?

Courses taken at a community college or other institution can assist students towards graduation. Students should examine the course equivalencies as they make their decision to take summer or winter courses elsewhere. Courses can only transfer to Virginia Tech with a grade of C or higher. Credits transfer, GPA does not transfer. 

To take courses at other institutions:

  1. Speak with your academic advisor to determine if taking courses is a necessity. Also discuss the possibility of taking the course at Virginia Tech instead of at another institution.
  2. Contact the community college or other institution to determine their Admission requirements and deadlines. 
  3. Complete an Authorization to Take Courses Form. An email will be sent to the student to verify the transfer equivalency. Please allow 2 weeks for a response.
  4. Complete the coursework, submit official transcripts to Virginia Tech.