Virginia Tech® home

How Do I...Drop all Courses or Resign?

Resigning from the semester means you want to drop ALL courses for that semester. Resigning usually takes place after the semester starts and students will still be billed for their coursework. Students wishing to resign before the end of the first day of classes only require a student's signature, no Dean's signature required. This option should be a worst-case scenario. 

  1. Speak with your academic advisor about the situation and reason for resigning. Think about alternatives to resigning and calculate your current grades in each course.
  2. If you still need to resign, complete this form.
  3. Get signatures from the appropriate parties involved. For example, if you are a first-year student living on campus, you will need the Dean's signature (bring the completed form to Gilbert Place to drop it off). Once returned from University Studies, you will need a signature from Housing. Other signatures might be required depending on your scenario.
  4. Once all signatures are on the form, return the form to the Office of the Registrar in the Student Services Building.