Virginia Tech® home

Frequently Asked Questions

These are frequently asked questions for students on probation or suspension.

On the Admissions application, students decide their major. Students who chose University Studies will be in this major until they change to another major at the earliest at end of their first semester. University Studies is not a degree granting major, which means students will graduate from Virginia Tech under a different major.

Change of major is available starting in December after grades post for fall semester for students that started at Virginia Tech in the fall semester. View a complete list of availability for Change of Major. Incoming students are NOT eligible for change of major in August.

Students must change their major when they reach 60 earned hours or 72 attempted hours. This number includes transfer credits from dual enrollment, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and CLEP exams. However, students can change their major before this point during one of the designated Change of Major time periods.

Students in University Studies take a majority of their courses towards Pathways for General Education requirements. These courses allow students to progress towards graduation as well as explore possible majors that could be a best fit. Students also work towards major courses when applicable for entry into restricted majors.

Incoming students will register for courses on their own during the summer starting June 12, 2023. See your VT email on May 8, 2023 for more information.

Advising and Registration is online on Zoom, at your Advising and Registration meeting you will: 

  • Meet with an academic advisor
  • Confirm your schedule for your first semester
  • Ask any questions about your major, minor, or course plans

Depending on your score, you may receive credit. Official transcripts from the community college or university that granted the credits are needed for Dual Enrollment credit, while official test scores are needed for AP or IB exams. Please note that VT cannot award college credit based on high school transcripts. Even though some scores or transcripts may not be evaluated by your Orientation, bring a copy of an unofficial transcript to assist with course registration. See more information about transferable credit.

Students can check their Unofficial transcript via Hokiespa to see if their credit or scores were evaluated. If the equivalent coursework is not showing up, give it time. This process can take weeks or months. If you have not received your credit by the beginning of the academic year, speak with your academic advisor.