Learn how to add courses to your Spring 2023 Schedule
- Dropping and Adding classes is first come, first served, meaning we suggest all University Studies students add classes to their schedule officially starting December 5, 2022.
- You can add or drop courses before you meet with an advisor for Advising and Registration.
- Incoming students will have a pre-loaded schedule with at least one course suggestion loaded on their Hokie Scheduler. You will receive an email from University Studies with more information about why those courses were chosen as well as alternative options for adding and dropping courses.
- Incoming students should avoid signing up for English, Math and/or Chemistry courses until speaking with an academic advisor during Advising and Registration.
- December 5-January 24, 2022: Create/Edit your schedule
- January 17: First Day of Spring Semester
- Before December 20: Create an appointment with an academic advisor, check your email
Look for an email from University Studies by December 5, then you will receive a personalized email from an academic advisor in University Studies with course suggestions for your first semester. This information will be based off of your expected incoming credits and expected future major or majors. You will be able to choose the days and times for these courses as well as change these courses, but check with your advisor at your Advising & Registration Session for more information.
Creating your schedule will start with:
- Review the four modules here including how to find equivalency credits for your AP/IB/CLEP and Dual Enrollment Courses
- Using your equivalency credits, look for Concepts in Pathways to General Education that you have not completed (Common suggestions include Concept 1 Foundations, 2 Humanities, 3 Social Sciences, 4 Natural Sciences, 6 Design and the Arts). Note that you need multiple courses per Concept in order to graduate.
- Find the Major Checksheet of the major you want to pursue to see what courses the major suggests
- Starting December 5, Create your schedule using HokieScheduler after reviewing the video at the top of this page
- Starting December 5, Add your schedule to your cart through HokieScheduler and submit your schedule (see video above)
- Starting December 5, make an appointment with an advisor in University Studies for Virtual Advising & Registration.
- Still have questions. Email email@example.com
Yes, we want you to meet with an academic advisor by December 20, 2022. Meetings last one hour via Zoom and can be scheduled through a link in your VT email on December 5, 2022.
- We encourage students to attend their advising session alone to grow skills they will need for adding and dropping classes for the remainder of their time at Virginia Tech.
- After watching the video above and creating your schedule. Look for an email from Zack Underwood, Director of University Studies on December 5, 2022.
- Review Frequently Asked Questions about University Studies
- Complete these steps to be prepared to start your first semester
- Have more questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- See the information on our How do I Explore Majors page.