Learn how to add courses to your Fall 2023 Schedule
- Dropping and Adding classes is first come, first served, meaning we suggest all University Studies students add classes to their schedule officially starting June 12, 2023. You can start your building your schedule on June 5, 2023, but can't add courses officially to your schedule until June 12, 2023.
- You can add or drop courses before you meet with an advisor for Advising and Registration.
- Incoming students will receive an email with suggested courses for the fall semester if they complete the Pre-Registration Survey. Check your VT email for the Pre-Registration Survey Link as of May 8, 2023 from Zack Underwood. An advisor will email you with these course suggestions and reasons why they would be good choices in your first semester in late May.
- Incoming students should avoid signing up for English, Math and/or Chemistry courses until speaking with an academic advisor during Advising and Registration.
- June 5, 2023: Create/Edit your schedule in HokieScheduler
- June 12-August 25, 2023: Register for courses for your first semester, this is first come, first serve, so add your courses starting June 12, 2023
June 12,-July 7, 2023: Schedule an appointment with the academic advisor who emailed you in late May with course suggestions (or choose any advisor if you did not complete the Pre-Registration survey (instructions for making an appointment will be sent via email in early June)
A survey is sent to all incoming University Studies students starting May 8, 2023. Completing this survey will give academic advisors perspectives about your incoming credit and future major plans. Based on this survey, an advisor will create a list of suggested courses for you. Students are responsible for adding these courses to your schedule.
Look for an email from a University Studies Advisor by late May with course suggestions for your first semester. This information will be based off of your expected incoming credits and expected future major or majors. You will be able to choose the days and times for these courses as well as change these courses, but check with your advisor at your Advising & Registration Session for more information.
Creating your schedule will start with:
- Reviewing the modules from New Student and Family Programs. You will be receiving communication to your VT Email account around Monday, May 8, 2023 about these modules.
- The HokieScheduler video above will be part of one of these modules.
Yes, we want you to meet with an academic advisor by July 7, 2023. Meetings last one hour via Zoom and can be scheduled through a link in your VT email starting on June 12, 2023.
- We encourage students to attend their advising session alone to grow skills they will need for adding and dropping classes for the remainder of their time at Virginia Tech.
- After watching the video above and creating your schedule, look for an email from University Studies on May 8, 2023.
- Review Frequently Asked Questions about University Studies
- Complete these steps to be prepared to start your first semester
- Have more questions, email UnivStudies@vt.edu.
- See the information on our How do I Explore Majors page.