Welcome to our website for University Studies (also referred to as the University Academic Advising Center) students, families, and prospective students. On this site, you will find reminders of important meetings and deadlines as well as information to help students analyze their interests and abilities, choose a major, change majors, select courses, meet specific degree requirements, and succeed academically at Virginia Tech.
The University Academic Advising Center administers the University Studies program for undergraduate students who wish to explore a variety of degree programs as well as those who wish to be admitted into restricted majors. Therefore, we pledge to help students choose majors that are personally and professionally satisfying by:
- Providing personalized, developmental academic advising to each student
- Assisting students in defining, evaluating, and pursuing the skills, interests, and abilities needed to achieve their goals
- Recognizing that advisors and students are partners in the advising process and each share responsibility in sustaining the advising relationship
- Facilitating each student’s successful transition to the University
- Empowering a committed, knowledgeable, experienced advising staff through ongoing professional development, and a supportive, team-oriented work environment
- Adhering to the guidelines established by the Council for the Advancement of Standards (CAS) and the Core Values of the National Academic Advising Association (NACADA).
Academic Advising Values
The Academic Advisors of the University Academic Advising Center have agreed to the following core values that guide us in the development and evaluation of our philosophy, goals and objectives:
- Mutual respect
- Open Communication
Contacting your Academic Advisor
How often should I contact my advisor?
First semester students are required to meet with their advisor at least 3 times during the first semester at Virginia Tech.
- First appointment should occur before October 1st.
- Second appointment should occur between October 1-28.
- Third appointment should occur between November 3 - December 10.
How do I schedule an appointment with my advisor?
We are scheduling student appointments through the Student Success Collaborative (SSC). You'll receive instructions from your academic advisor.
Advisors DO NOT schedule appointments through email!
Who is my advisor?
NEW STUDENTS: CHECK YOUR VT EMAIL!!
- Your advisor sent an email to you in early August informing you of your advisor assignment.
- Your advisor sends emails to you frequently.
Find your advisor assignment on Hokie Spa.